Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Story--It's Been One Year

January 10 is a date I'll never be able to forget.  It has been exactly one year since I lost Miri.  I decided to spend this anniversary visiting Joy and her daughter.  My mom and dad were both in Hawaii and Andy had to work all day, and this was a day that I just really did not want to spend alone.  I knew that if I was by myself, I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about Miri, and for my sake and Whitney's sake, it would be best to be surrounded by people I love.  I woke up that morning a little sad, as you would expect, but it wasn't all-consuming.  Joy and I had actually planned a very busy day of fun for our girls, and watching them play really took my mind off things.  I had a moment here or there, when I received a text from my mom and another from a friend, but for the most part, our day of fun was just what I needed.  My memories of that day are filled with laughter and smiles.  And Joy, being the best friend that she was, didn't bring it up, and she let me spend the day not dwelling on the past, but just being present in the moment.  And I made it through what could have been a really difficult anniversary with a smile on my face.  That evening as I laid in bed, thought about how far I had come and how well I handled it, and I was very proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment