Thursday, October 24, 2013

My Story--The Stillbirth Milestone

I am now 30 weeks and 3 days along in the pregnancy.  I made sure I had my 3-D ultrasound on the earlier end of the timeframe they give you (I did it at week 29), because I missed it with Miri.  We had a viability party for Annalie over the weekend, another thing that we had put on hold with Miri.  And despite how much I'm making sure I don't take things for granted and how positive I've been feeling that this time she's going to make it, today was really tough.  It was today in Miri's pregnancy that I believe I lost her while driving down the highway.  As I was driving to work this morning (down the highway), I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the emotion of it all.  I was thinking about Annalie, and how "alive" she is in my mind, even though religion tells me that life starts at a first breath.  And part of the thought that Miri wasn't technically alive was comforting a year ago, but today it hit me that she really was just as "alive" as Annalie is to me now.  Then about 15 minutes into the drive, I realized that I hadn't yet felt Annalie kick this morning.  I had been up since 6:00, and typically not an hour goes by without feeling something.  This was unusual.  I thought about going to the doctor, for a "just checking" doppler, but their office wasn't opened yet, and I didn't want to go to the emergency room.  So, just as before, I waited to see.  I started getting overwhelmed with the thoughts of what would I do if it happened again.  And the images in my mind were so real and so detailed.  I thought about what it would be like to find out that she had died in the middle of the night while I was asleep and how I would handle that news.  I had a dream that night that I gave birth to her, and that I was bleeding, so not feeling her move started to really be troublesome on top of this dream that I was no longer pregnant.  I thought about what the c-section would be like this time, and that since no matter what, this would be my last pregnancy, whether or not I would want to do things differently.  And I thought that I would.  Maybe this time, I'd want to see her and hold her, and give her a hug and a kiss.  Something that I never got to do with Miri.  After the 3-D ultrasound, I feel like I already have a good idea of what she looks like.  She's got big eyes, like her sister, a pretty smile, my husband's ears...she's got a face, and so seeing her dead wouldn't be as traumatic this time as I thought it would have been last time.  And last time it was really hard never getting to hold Miri.  I still believe it was the right decision, and I don't for one minute regret not seeing her or holding her.  This time, the thought that I'd never get to hold another one of my babies again if I didn't do it was enough to make me consider it.  I figured Andy would disagree and have the same feelings as before and so we'd have to go through her death somewhat separately this time.  I thought about how much I missed Miri, and how much I would miss Annalie too.  And while all this was going on in my head, I was praying that Annalie would just move a little.  I cried, still missing Miri, and worried that Annalie had succumbed to the same fate, for the rest of my commute to work.  Luckily, when I got out of the car, I finally felt a small nudge.  It lessened my fears about Annalie, but I was still sad about Miri.  Surprisingly, coping with this was harder for me than January 10th was, the one-year anniversary of her c-section.  I hadn't prepared myself for how difficult a day this was going to be, and I walked into work still visibly upset.

It was another reminder that there's still emotional healing left for me to do.  Then, during my day at work, things didn't get much better.  My annual evaluation came back, and I had gone from the top of the rankings to second from the bottom.  I asked my department chair why the major decrease, and he told me that it was because I was out on medical leave for part of a semester, and did not teach a full load.  So apparently, the repercussions of having a stillborn were not yet over either.  And, the evaluation score is what annual raises are based upon.  Therefore, Miri's death had affected me not only emotionally and physically, but now financially as well.  As much as I may try, it's really hard to let the past be the past.  There are constant reminders of what happened.  Now, aside from feeling sad and depressed, I also felt angry and discriminated against.  I cried the whole way home from work too.  This was one of those days when you just need a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment