Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Story--The Joys of Pregnancy

It seemed like forever, but we finally went to the OB's office for that first ultrasound appointment.  I was so nervous that I hardly slept the night before.  I really hoped that we'd have good news--that there would be a baby, and not a miscarriage--but I was preparing for the worst.  I went over and over what I would do if we got to the ultrasound and saw nothing.  I imagined how I would feel and how I would handle the news.  I played it out again and again in my mind (as I tend to do) just in case.  My husband came with me, and we were both sitting in the waiting room with such anxiety  They called me back, sat me down on the table.  I lifted my shirt, felt the cool gel on my tummy, and it was time to see.  My heart was racing and I looked up at the large display screen.  When the ultrasound technician put that first image up, I could see a little blob with a pulse.  It was so early in the pregnancy, you couldn't make out the head from the body.  It was just a small pulsing round little ball of cells.  But it was there, and I couldn't hold back tears of joy.  I was so relieved, and so happy.  The last time I had an ultrasound, I could see everything...the head, the body, the ribcage, but it was just a still image.  And here we were, just 6 weeks along, and it had a heartbeat and I could see it.  I spent the next four hours not able to control the tears of relief and joy.  I didn't realize how scared I actually was until the relief set in.  A day later, I still got teary-eyed thinking about seeing its little heart in action.  

Two weeks after the initial ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy, I had my first OB appointment.  The baby was still too little to pick up its heartbeat on a Doppler, so to my surprise, my doctor actually brought an ultrasound machine into the examining room with him, because he said, "I just thought you'd like to see the heartbeat again." And did I ever.  It was still there, and now at 8 weeks, it looked much less like a blob, and more like a baby.  There was definitely a head and torso, and the heart was right where it should be and beating a steady quick pace.  It was one of the most beautiful things you can witness.

Due to all the uncertainty of the stillbirth, we decided to have genetic testing done at 11 weeks, just to make sure everything was on pace for a healthy pregnancy.  One of the perks is that you get to find out the gender while still in the first trimester.  I really thought right after my c-section that I was done having girls.  I was pretty certain that the next child would be a boy.  But, then as the months went on, and everyone who I met or knew that was pregnant was having a girl, I started thinking that maybe it was to numb me to the trauma of a girl pregnancy. Maybe I would be blessed 3 times in a row.  About a week after they drew my blood, I got a phone call from the lab.  They said that all the genetic markers came back negative.  Whew!  I confirmed that what she said meant that the baby was healthy, and she said yes, asked if I had any other questions, and I said "Can you tell me the gender?"  She repeated, "Everything came back negative, including the y-chromosome."  It's a girl!  I ran downstairs to give Andy the good news about her health, and then I told him with a smirk, "I told you when we got married, that you were destined to only have girls".  He smiled, and said "Okay."  I could tell he was excited too.  I'm so thrilled that Whitney will get the baby sister she wanted, and I can't actually believe how blessed we are.  I'm so happy that I'm going to get a second chance to raise sisters!

9 1/2 weeks after finding out that we were expecting a girl, Andy ands I had both made up lists of names, and we each vetoed the others favorites.  It's really hard coming up with girl names for the third time that we both love.  Andy really likes Natalie Ann, but I just wasn't sold on it.  It's a fine name, but there was just something holding me back from saying yes.  Then on a Wednesday morning, I woke up with the name Annalie stuck in my head.  I don't know any Annalies and I actually never even heard of that name before dreaming about it.  But that was what I woke up thinking about.  Maybe it was my subconscious combining Natalie and Ann together in one name, or maybe it was pure inspiration.  I'll never know.  So, the first thing I did after turning off my alarm was to roll over and look it up on my iPad.  (Yes, I sleep with my iPad right next to me.)  The way I was spelling it, it's Finnish and means "God has favored me".  And immediately, I knew that this was what I wanted for her name.  It couldn't have been a more perfect meaning for a post-stillborn baby.  I did a little more research on the name, and there's a more common spelling, Annalee, which is Scandinavian and means "grace".  I thought that this could be a nice tribute to Miri since Grace was her middle name.  Either way, I loved it.  And, it's incredibly unpopular, something that was somewhat important to both of us.  (Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, it seemed like every other person I met was a Jenny.  I wanted a name that I could call on a playground and only one kid would turn around to answer.)  After some research, there were only 48 people born with that name in the US last year, but I thought that it doesn't sound weird or seem too out of the ordinary.  I texted Andy since he was still sleeping, and told him not to tell me yes or no, but to just think it over for a couple days and then we'd discuss it.  I didn't want to hear another veto for such a perfect name.  I told my mom, and she thought it was pretty.  I also asked Joy, because I wanted to know if I was crazy for loving it, since it is so unpopular.  If it was as pretty as I thought, wouldn't more people think so too?  But she promised that she'd give me the truth, and in 10 seconds, she agreed that I wasn't crazy and that she thought it was pretty too.  On Sunday afternoon, Andy and I talked about it, and he told me he didn't like the meaning of "grace".  So I said, we could spell it the other way, and then it wouldn't mean that.  I also told him that if he agreed to this first name, then he could choose the middle name, as long as it didn't sound silly (like Annalie Natalie).  A few days later, he told me that he liked Annalie Claire, Annalie Hope, and one more that he couldn't think of off the top of his head.  He agreed!  We have a first name, and it's just perfect!  

No comments:

Post a Comment